Sunday, June 04, 2006

Not Without My Puppy

I recently read an article on MSNBC.com about a man who rescued his puppy from the jaws of an alligator. I have almost no commentary on this piece, except that it made me cry like the silly girl that I am. Here is the text--I think everyone should read about this example of heroism:

CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. - The phrase "you lucky dog" takes on new meaning in Coral Springs, Florida.

Michael Rubin heard cries from his 6-month-old golden retriever, Jasmine, which had ran ahead to the edge of a pond near a construction site Monday, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.
When he went to check on her, he saw the puppy's head inside an alligator's mouth. The intrepid Rubin jumped right into the water and started beating the gator with his fists.
The reptile which Rubin estimated was about 7 feet long refused to let go and started rolling in the water with Jasmine still in its mouth.

"I thought she was dead," he said. "But at that point I wasn't going to let him have my dog."
He eventually pried the dog loose and rushed her to an animal hospital, where she was treated for cuts and puncture wounds. The puppy is now home, doing fine, Rubin said.


First of all, this guy is a badass. It sounds like he didn't even hesitate to take on an alligator, an animal that has been killing Florida residents left and right. Secondly, this is an incredible show of devotion to one's pet. Rubin even thought the dog was dead, but he didn't want his best friend to be eaten by a vicious predator. I think it's amazing when people risk their lives for their pets, and vice versa. I've never loved another living thing like I love my dog, and the bond between a pet and a human is truly special.

Lando (my Scottish terrier) and I wish Jasmine a speedy recovery, and give mad props to Michael Rubin. Best wishes.