Friday, August 25, 2006

Emmy Predictions, Part Four: Supporting Actor/Actress

We've arrived at Part Four of the five-part series of blogs on the upcoming Emmys. In Part Four, I will make my picks in the Supporting Actor/Actress categories. Here goes:

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Will Arnett, Arrested Development
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Bryan Cranston, Malcolm in the Middle
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Sean Hayes, Will & Grace

I am claiming this award for Will Arnett, hands-down. He deserves it more than all of the nominees combined, especially since he's never been singled out for his hilarious portrayal of G.O.B. Bluth. He also does the funniest chicken impression ever. The other four jokers are all equally unremarkable by comparison, but I would look for Jeremy Piven to ooze onstage to accept the award if Arnett does not win.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
William Shatner, Boston Legal
Oliver Platt, Huff
Michael Imperioli, The Sopranos
Gregory Itzin, 24
Alan Alda, The West Wing

This is a tough category. With the exception of Oliver Platt, I think it's anyone's game. Shatner may use the full force of his personality to take the award, but Alan Alda may finally get his due (did you catch his staged speech-tearing bit at last year's Emmys?). Gregory Itzin was a pretty popular 24 villain, from what I heard, so he could upset all those guys. I'm picking Michael "Christofuh" Imperioli to win, because he deserves it, and because it is The Sopranos' last season. Imperioli's won very few major awards, and he gets some of the most memorable lines on that show.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie
Denis Lawson, Bleak House
Hugh Dancy, Elizabeth I
Jeremy Irons, Elizabeth I
Robert Carlyle, Human Trafficking
Clifton Collins, Jr., Thief

Hook Wedge Antilles up! I'd like to see Denis Lawson win for his portrayal of Mr. Jarndyce--he made a middle-aged man in love with a woman half his age not seem like a dirty perv! He might not win the battle of stuffy British movies, however, and one of the Elizabeth I actors may win. After Lawson, I'd put Clifton Collins in at a close second. He was pretty amazing in Capote.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Cheryl Hines, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Alfre Woodard, Desperate Housewives
Jaime Pressly, My Name is Earl
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds
Megan Mullally, Will & Grace

Without a doubt, Jaime Pressly should be going home with an Emmy this weekend. Misbehaving middle- and upper-class women are no match for good ol' white trash, and Joy has trashiness in spades. Pressly also deserves to win because she's the actress I would have least expected to be funny. She looks like your typical vapid model/actress type, but she's got some comedic chops, I tell you what.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Candice Bergen, Boston Legal
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy
Blythe Danner, Huff
Jean Smart, 24

Just so I don't seem completely biased, I'm going to pick Sandra Oh from Grey's Anatomy. The show is up for a lot of awards this year, so it's unrealistic to think that good taste will prevail over sheer numbers. My head picks Sandra Oh, but my heart picks Jean Smart, aka Charlene from Designing Women. She's just charming in every role she plays, even if she's playing an insane First Lady.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie
Kelly Macdonald, The Girl in the Cafe
Shirley Jones, Hidden Places
Ellen Burstyn, Mrs. Harris
Cloris Leachman, Mrs. Harris
Alfre Woodard, The Water Is Wide

After all the uproar over her nomination, there's no way that Ellen Burstyn will win. I love Kelly Mac--she rules in Gosford Park and State of Play--but this isn't the movie for which she should win an award. Alfre Woodard may win, since she definitely won't (and shouldn't) win for Supporting Actress. I think the whole throwing-awards-at-distinguished-veterans element may come into play, though, so I will randomly pick Shirley Jones to win.

I have no idea when I'll get to it, but Part Five (Lead Actor/Actress) will be coming soon.