Thursday, August 24, 2006

Emmy Predictions, Part Three: Series

This is Part Three of a whopping five-part set of blogs about the upcoming Emmys. For now, I will be making my predictions about the awards for Best Series in various categories.

Outstanding Comedy Series
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
Scrubs
Two And A Half Men

Let's not kid ourselves; Two And A Half Men has no business in this category. Charlie Sheen is only funny in mug shots and tabloids, and the other 1.5 men are not worth mentioning. Curb has gone a little stale, and I doubt that it would hold up against its younger competition. As for the other three nominees, you might as well ask me to choose between my (fictional) children. Scrubs is hilarious, but has never won a major (read: neither technical nor creative) Emmy. In my heart of hearts, though, I know that Arrested Development deserves this boost after being so cruelly cancelled earlier this year. Unfortunately, my experiences as a short brunette in a tall blonde's world have taught me that life isn't fair. The Office is clearly the show to beat.

Outstanding Drama Series
Grey's Anatomy
House
The Sopranos
24
The West Wing

Again, with the Grey's Anatomy! I'll be so ashamed if it actually wins, but I doubt that it will. You can't throw around terms like "McDreamy" and expect to be taken seriously. As much as I love House, this show deserves awards for writing and acting (Hugh Laurie), but not for the series itself. The same things happen on every episode--patient gets misdiagnosed two or three times, somebody yells, and random events lead to the proper diagnosis. That said, the show is still better than your average medical drama. Any of the remaining three could reasonably take the prize, but I'm going to bet on 24. VH1's Best Week Ever made the show look pretty exciting, and that show has never steered me wrong. The Sopranos got progressively blah this season, and The West Wing seemed a bit too impressed with itself (Wow! A live episode! My, what groundbreaking television!).

Outstanding Made for Television Movie
Flight 93
The Flight That Fought Back
The Girl in the Cafe
Mrs. Harris
Yesterday

YAWN! We're just blowing through naptime, aren't we? I'm willing to bet that the panelists can't tell the difference between the two 9/11 movies, and that either Yesterday or Mrs. Harris will win.

Outstanding Miniseries
Bleak House
Elizabeth I
Into The West
Sleeper Cell

I'll be very surprised and upset if Bleak House doesn't win in this category. They didn't even have enough nominees to fill the traditional five spots. Elizabeth I was an unnecessary movie (the Cate Blanchett version is awesome), and no one should give Spielberg any more awards until he takes it up a notch (Into The West). Did anyone watch Sleeper Cell? I didn't, and you know I wasn't busy.

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
The Amazing Race
American Idol
Dancing With The Stars
Project Runway
Survivor

I didn't realize that The Amazing Race was such a powerhouse! It's won every year for the last three years. Must be the Jerry Bruckheimer factor (he's one of the executive producers). Like Ricky Bobby, that man must piss excellence. I'd say this show is a shoo-in, unless the phenomenon Dancing With The Stars can pull an upset. There's something to be said for the kind of magic that that show generated in a very short amount of time.

Outstanding Variety, Music, or Comedy Series
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
Late Night With Conan O'Brien
Late Show With David Letterman
Real Time With Bill Maher

There's no arguing with history. The Daily Show is the most likely to win this award, based on its previous record. Then again, I suppose every streak has to end sometime. This may be Colbert's year.

Check back later for the Lead and Supporting Actor predictions!