Friday, December 15, 2006

Golden Globe Nominations: Part Three

Now we come to Part Three of my ginormous four-part blog about the Golden Globe nominations, which were announced yesterday. Check out Parts One and Two for the film nominations. Today's blogs are all about the nominations for Television, which I was more than happy with (for the most part, Housewives excluded). Let's start things off with the drama and comedy awards, shall we?

Best Drama Series
24
Big Love
Grey's Anatomy
Heroes
Lost

While it's fantastic that my new favorite drama, Heroes, got a nod, I'm less than thrilled about the other nominees. A bunch of doctors freaking out about how many people they've slept with at work isn't so much dramatic as it is pathetic. Every time I catch a snippet of Grey's Anatomy, someone is looking mopey or oversharing with a co-worker. Not compelling television. Big Love is a well-made and well-acted show, but I can think of several HBO shows that deserved the nomination more. The Wire and Deadwood are complex, gutwrenching dramas that are in a class apart from just about every show on this list. Show Omar some love, you feel me? I'm betting that the HFPA will either reward the novelty of Heroes or the old mainstay, 24.

Best Actress, Drama
Patricia Arquette, Medium
Edie Falco, The Sopranos
Evangeline Lilly, Lost
Ellen Pompeo, Grey's Anatomy
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

Awards shows do not know how to spot the truly kickass actresses on TV, and this category proves it. Instead of picking actresses like Deadwood's Robin Weigert, who add new layers to their characters with each episode, the Globes acknowledged the work of Evangeline Lilly and Ellen Pompeo, two actresses who can barely master the pouty extressions that their characters require. Both Lilly and Pompeo's characters provide only the most superficial of conflicts to their shows: which hot guy do I want to sleep with? Kate and Meredith Grey aren't exactly Lady Macbeth and Blanche DuBois, if you know what I mean. Patricia Arquette's consistent nominations still confuse me--when is her show even on? The two real contenders are Edie Falco and Kyra Sedgwick. As I was watching the second and third episodes of The Sopranos' most recent season, I knew Edie Falco would be nominated. She's had the best scenes in an otherwise lackluster season. The award will likely go to fresher face Kyra Sedgwick, however, and I don't mind one bit. I want to see the cutaway shots to her adorable husband, Kevin Bacon, when she makes her acceptance speech.

Best Actor, Drama
Patrick Dempsey, Grey's Anatomy
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Hugh Laurie, House, M.D.
Bill Paxton, Big Love
Kiefer Sutherland, 24

Michael C. Hall's nomination notwithstanding, meh. How hard can it be to play McDreamy, honestly? Ditto Bill Paxton's polygamist character in Big Love. The brilliant Hugh Laurie won last year, but he's stuck with a character that says and does the exact same things in every episode: belittle everyone, make snarky comments, and occasionally depict a weakness for pain medication. Laurie does a wonderful job with his character, but there isn't much for him to add to Gregory House in each episode. Past winner Keifer Sutherland is the front runner, but I'm hoping that Michael C. Hall stages an upset. I can't describe how awesome Dexter is, and how perfectly Hall plays Dexter Morgan. How many actors could make a serial killer sympathetic, funny, and relatable? Start watching this show ASAP.

Best Comedy Series
Desperate Housewives
Entourage
The Office
Ugly Betty
Weeds

It's never a good sign when I both groan and cheer at the announcement of a category. Entourage is one of those comedies that is funny in the moment, but doesn't hold up to repeat viewing. Perhaps I don't find it funny because I'm not a spoiled, lazy young man with a bogus sense of entitlement--you know, like the characters on the show? Word has it that Weeds is very deserving, but Desperate Housewives has never belonged on this list of nominees. Call me crazy, but the frozen, plastic faces of Marcia Cross and Teri Hatcher don't inspire laughter, at least not in a comedic sense. Choosing between The Office and Ugly Betty is like choosing between Chips Ahoy and Oreos, and I can't bear to do it. I'll be ecstatic if either one wins.

Best Actress, Comedy
Marcia Cross, Desperate Housewives
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

I can't believe that we haven't moved on from this Desperate Housewives trend already. The first person who can give me a decent explanation why these women are funny will get a million dollars'...worth of free blogging advice. Mary-Louise Parker gives off this huffy "too cool for school" vibe, which looks even worse next to the humility and gratitude of Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Find me one actress who's more thankful to have steady work, seriously. That said, America Ferrera has to win. The sweet, slightly goofy tone of Ugly Betty is totally dependent on Ferrera's performance, and she delivers like Domino's.

Best Actor, Comedy
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Zach Braff, Scrubs
Steve Carell, The Office
Jason Lee, My Name is Earl
Tony Shalhoub, Monk

That's what I'm talkin' about!! 4 out of 5 nominees actually belong here. I'm still a little miffed about Tony Shalhoub beating Steve Carell at last year's Emmys, so he's out. If Best Comedy was like choosing a cookie, this category is more like choosing between different types of chocolate. I don't think Zach Braff's ever won an award for his portrayal of J.D., and it would be nice if Scrubs got the teensiest bit of kudos. Jason Lee brings a lot to the dopey role of Earl Hickey, but I don't see it happening. 30 Rock lacks the popularity or exposure of The Office, and Steve Carell's just too hilarious to pass up. Perhaps Carell will celebrate his win Michael Scott-style, with dinner at Chili's and drinks at Hooters.

Part Four--coming soon!